Digital Literacy at Saint Joseph Regional High School embodies the standards for the 21st Century Learner. The young
men who attend Saint Joseph's are citizens of the digital age and, as such, must be equipped with the skills, resources and tools to:
1. Inquire, think critically, and gain knowledge.
2. Draw conclusions, make informed decisions, apply knowledge to new situations, and create new knowledge.
3. Share knowledge and participate morally, ethically and productively as Catholic members of our democratic society.
4. Pursue personal growth to form the "Vir Fidelis", the Faithful Man, who embodies the teachings of Jesus Christ and the humble example of our patron, Saint Joseph.
Saint Joseph Regional High School considers our students as producers rather than consumers of technology. We foster digital literacy that reaches beyond the multitude of technological devices available to us in our society. In order to fulfill this mission, SJR fully utilizes leading edge technology that provides our students with the tools to achieve the utmost success
in a global venue:
- Saint Joseph Regional High School has established a Google Chromebook program, which began its implementation during the 2014-15 academic year with the addition of two portable Chromebook carts, one on each floor, for teacher use in the classroom.
- In September, 2015, a one-to-one Chromebook environment was created for all incoming freshmen students, with intention that in the coming three years, all students and teachers would utilize Chromebook technology in their classrooms.
- The classes of 2017 & 2018 are welcome to bring a laptop to school in order to complete assignments while on campus (BYOD). The student MUST register their own devices with the Technology Department. Saint Joseph Regional maintains a campus-wide wireless network. Students are given an access key by our technology staff in order to utilize our secure network.
- Saint Joseph Regional High School Media Center is equipped with thirty-two desktop devices. Students can reserve a desktop device or study space within the Media Center during Study Hall, before homeroom or after school. The Media Center is open from 7:30 in the morning to 3:30 in the afternoon.
- In addition, SJR has a Computer Lab with thirty-five desktop devices. This room is the venue for our technology classes.
- Saint Joseph Regional subscribes to online databases that augment class materials. An online edition of the New York Times is provided to our students and faculty on a daily basis. This is in addition to hundreds of periodicals and texts available to our community through online subscriptions.
- At SJR, our young men are considered producers rather than consumers of technology. Web 2.0 technology is embedded in all subject areas to allow our students to collaboratively produce and exhibit mastery of course through class blogs, podcasts, virtual science labs, online assessments, webpages, and other interactive presentations. Google Apps for Education is utilized to provide paperless, real-time collaboration with other students and faculty.
- The objectives of the Partnership for 21st Century Skills are incorporated into the focus of Digital Literacy at Saint Joseph Regional High School. We prepare our students with life and career skills while developing learning and innovation skills. Global themes such as ecology, economics and marketing are offered as electives. An online Virtual High School program is offered to students to pursue electives in advanced levels of math and science. Our online subscriptions include a current issues database that allows our students to keep abreast with global topics.
- ISTE Standards for both students and teachers guide digital practices at St Joseph Regional which is vital in preparing students for the both higher-education and future careers.
- Ongoing, in-house, professional development for faculty ensures that teachers maximize access the potential of hardware and software in the classrooms with the students. Interactive White Boards, science probes, access to e-books, and collaborative activities engage students and help increase understanding.
- Saint Joseph Regional High School has a state of the art television and editing studio. Students produce and edit all aspects of a morning broadcast on WSJR and record special events on and off campus.
The well-rounded student has always been fostered by Saint Joseph Regional High School. This concept began with the Xaverian Brothers, our founding order of teachers at SJR, and continues now in the third millennium. Saint Joseph Regional High School updates this theme and provides a new dimension to the well-rounded student by including digital literacy to our graduates' skill set.